As far back as 1905 in our local Church history, Father Richard Hamilton, Rector of the Sacred heart Church in Milledgeville and missionary of the Catholic Church in Middle Georgia, conceived the idea of building a church in Dublin.
One of the early parishioners, who gave considerable assistance to Father Hamilton was Mrs. Victoria V. Stubbs, widow of Col. John M. Stubbs, for whom Stubbs Park was named. She was the daughter of Governor Lowe of Maryland who moved to Dublin after marriage to Col. Stubbs, and her interest in the little church never flagged, even after she moved from Dublin several years after the church was built. The land on which the church was erected was donated by Col. Stubbs.
This church has had many benefactors through the years. The statue of the Blessed Virgin was donated by Martin Marquis Maloney, prominent Philadelphia Catholic layman. He also donated the library at Catholic University in Washington, D.C. It was he who suggested the church be named the Immaculate Conception.
It is understood that the statue of St. Joseph was donated by the artist who created the statue of the Blessed Virgin. Both are made of Italian marble and when plans were made for the remodeling, it was decided to place them in the niches at the front of the church to welcome those who enter and inspire those who pass by.
When Mr. L. J. Cullens and his family of Chicago moved to “Horseshoe Bend” plantation in Glenwood, GA in the 30’s, they donated the beautiful stained glass windows which were made to order in Wisconsin after the European style.
For many years, Mass was held only twice a month by priests in Milledgeville but during the tenure of Msgr. McNamara, a schedule of Mass each Sunday was instituted, which eventually lifted Dublin out of the mission status.