The readings are from the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops (USCCB) website.
- Friday of the Twentieth Week in Ordinary Time August 23, 2019Reading 1 Ru 1:1, 3-6, 14b-16, 22 Once in the time of the judges there was a famine in the land;so a man from Bethlehem of Judahdeparted with his wife and two sonsto reside on the plateau of Moab.Elimelech, the husband of Naomi, died,and she was left with her two sons, who married Moabite women,one named Orpah, the other Ruth.When they had lived there about […]
- Memorial of the Queenship of the Blessed Virgin Mary August 22, 2019Reading 1 Jgs 11:29-39a The Spirit of the LORD came upon Jephthah.He passed through Gilead and Manasseh,and through Mizpah-Gilead as well,and from there he went on to the Ammonites.Jephthah made a vow to the LORD."If you deliver the Ammonites into my power," he said,"whoever comes out of the doors of my houseto meet me when I return in triumph […]
- Memorial of Saint Pius X, Pope August 21, 2019Reading 1 Jgs 9:6-15 All the citizens of Shechem and all Beth-millo came togetherand proceeded to make Abimelech kingby the terebinth at the memorial pillar in Shechem.When this was reported to him,Jotham went to the top of Mount Gerizim and, standing there,cried out to them in a loud voice:"Hear me, citizens of Shechem, that God may then hear you!Once […]
- Memorial of Saint Bernard, Abbot and Doctor of the Church August 20, 2019Reading 1 Jgs 6:11-24a The angel of the LORD came and sat under the terebinth in Ophrahthat belonged to Joash the Abiezrite.While his son Gideon was beating out wheat in the wine pressto save it from the Midianites,the angel of the LORD appeared to him and said,"The LORD is with you, O champion!"Gideon said to him, "My Lord, if the LORD is wit […]
- Monday of the Twentieth Week in Ordinary Time August 19, 2019Reading 1 Jgs 2:11-19 The children of Israel offended the LORD by serving the Baals.Abandoning the LORD, the God of their fathers,who led them out of the land of Egypt,they followed the other gods of the various nations around them,and by their worship of these gods provoked the LORD.Because they had thus abandoned him and served Baal and the Ashtaroth,the a […]
- Twentieth Sunday in Ordinary Time August 18, 2019Reading 1 Jer 38:4-6, 8-10 In those days, the princes said to the king:"Jeremiah ought to be put to death;he is demoralizing the soldiers who are left in this city,and all the people, by speaking such things to them;he is not interested in the welfare of our people,but in their ruin." King Zedekiah answered: "He is in your power";for the […]
- Saturday of the Nineteenth Week in Ordinary Time August 17, 2019Reading 1 Jos 24:14-29 Joshua gathered together all the tribes of Israel at Shechem, and addressed them, saying: "Fear the LORD and serve him completely and sincerely. Cast out the gods your fathers served beyond the River and in Egypt, and serve the LORD. If it does not please you to serve the LORD, decide today whom you will serve, the gods your fathe […]